Feb 28, 2010 That's Hot
Seventeen more semifinalists have yet to be named, and twenty more runs are about to be cut short.
- Seven have been picked so far.
- Janell Wheeler is first up for the last episode. She didn’t do so well on group day and the final performance, so it’s hard to say whether she’s going on…
- …but she is. Eight down.
- Tyler Grady sang “Home” as his final performance, but he hopes not to go home today. Kara comments on his ’60s/’70s style and dance moves, and says they want to see them in the semifinals. Tyler’s in.
- Lacey Brown has been in this spot before, getting cut last year going into the top 36. This year she gets through to the top 24.
- Ashley Rodriguez, Alex Lambert and Joe Muñoz all squeak through as well, becoming the 11th, 12th and 13th semifinalists; eleven spots remain. There are bound to be some cuts soon; no one has been cut yet in this episode and there are still twenty to be axed.
- Crystal Bowersox has been a strong singer all week. She is in the top 24; fourteen are in. Ten spots remain for thirty hopefuls.
- Katie Stevens wants to make her grandmother proud. She’s number fifteen.
- Four faces are shown getting cut, but no names are put to them, and I don’t recognize them all. 25 contestants remain.
- Angela Martin is making her third run through Hollywood. She’s so emotional going to the stage that Kara goes to sit with her to let her know she’s getting cut. I agree with Kara; Angela does need to continue looking for ways to break through, ’cause she’s a really good singer.
- Lilly Scott weirds me out a little with her white hair, which I really hope is artificially colored. Kara seems to have a smile on her face, which hopefully is good news…
- It is, she’s on her way through. I’m sure the hair will get mentioned sometime in the live shows.
- Rapid fire: Paige Miles, Siobhan Magnes, Michelle Delamor, Jermaine Sellers and John Park all get through as well. There are two spots on the men’s side and just one on the women’s’ side left, with 18 contestants looking for them. I’m starting to wonder if there are more cuts happening that we’re not seeing.
- While it appears that they were on stage separately, Haeley Vaughn and Tori Kelly are both shown approaching the stage at the same time to build drama for the viewers.
- Simon didn’t appear impressed with Haeley’s Day 4 vocals. Tori’s Day 4 seemed to go better by comparison. I’m suspecting Tori’s going on… but I suspect wrong. Haeley takes the last spot on the girls’ side.
- They’re saying only one spot’s left for the guys, which is messing with my count, as I’ve only counted 10 guys getting through so far.
- Andrew Garcia and Thaddeus Johnson are left for the guys. Either I missed someone, or they both have to be going through.
- Thaddeus doesn’t get through. Who did I miss???
- Andrew Garcia apparently rounds out the top 24.
- Going through all top 24 at the end, the only stray name is Tim Urban. I’m positive they didn’t show him on stage with the judges.
After watching the episode, a search for news about Hollywood Week reveals what happened: Tim was initially rejected while Chris Golightly (whom I don’t recall having seen since his Los Angeles audition) went through. In the time since these episodes were taped, Golightly was disqualified, apparently due to an existing recording contract he believed but could not conclusively prove he had been released from, and Tim was promoted in his place.
The top 24 are set! Two nights of performances and a live show yet to go before I’m caught up; should be able to punch through them tomorrow and start blogging live again.